Friday, July 8, 2011

Santa Barbara, CA - Thousand Oaks, CA

Hey all,

Finally got Internet again, which means more updates on my wacky adventures across the country on my bike!

Our next stop after Santa Barbara was Thousand Oaks, CA, an 85 mile ride that we weren't really looking forward to after a day off of cycling. I had a great paceline that day, riding with Matt Riesen, from Texas Christian University, and Matt Calardo, from George Washington University. We talked a lot during the ride and joked around for the most part, which made the ride go by a lot quicker than I had expected. Unfortunately, I ran over a nail in Ventura, CA, putting a hole in my tire and setting us back a little bit. The patch held up until about mile 70, when my inner tube popped a hole and we had to stop again, causing us to lose a lot of the momentum we had gained. After fixing the damage, we began our climb up one of the steepest, most difficult hills I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of riding. The two other guys I was riding with and I spent a good part of the climb yelling and cursing the terrain, and after what seemed like forever, we made it to the top of the hill, only about a mile away from our lodging destination, the Thousand Oaks YMCA. This YMCA was one of the nicest I had ever seen, matched only by the friendliness of the people there. We unloaded all of our stuff in the dance studio there, and were treated to a great Mexican food dinner (make-your-own-Nachos) by our generous sponsors. To make things even better, we had our first mail drop today, and I was very grateful to receive letters/goodies from my parents and girlfriend. After hanging out for a while and doing a bit of reading, we all went to bed to get some rest for the ride the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment